It’s primary day, so go vote! Then I’d love to hear your thoughts on this primary. Here are three quick-hitting thoughts of mine:  

1. The Process Primary: What’s been the biggest issue in the primaries this season? I mean, besides the elephant in the room. It’s been process. Go to progressive facebook pages or candidate pages here in Camden County, and there is a lot of discussion about “the line” — the ability of the local party to endorse and entire slate of candidates that are easily identified in a column and that you can even vote for by with a single button.

It’s hard to overestimate the extent to which this warps organizing in New Jersey. It’s part of the story of how Governor Phil Murphy outmaneuvered State Senate President in the gubernatorial primary. And local progressives have put a lot of energy into putting a “column” to minimize the ballot disadvantage.

The “column” language has also dominated campaign strategies on both sides. There’s been an aggressive social media and mailing campaign by the local Democratic party that emphasizes “column 1” candidates. Progressive organizers have done the same with “column 4.” 

Even more striking, the ballot shenanigans have become a core part of the argument (and maybe the central argument!) progressives are using to advertise their candidates. I’m curious what people think of this strategy. 

2. The Cory Booker ThingOk, it’s probably time to talk about Cory Booker a little. Not the flagging presidential campaign. Not the education stuff. The fact that he’s become central to South Jersey Democrats messaging. Column 1 is now regularly described as “Senator Cory Booker” Democrats, and he’s supported local democrats quite vigorously. I think this sets up a bit of a trap for local progressives. With the tax subsidies news, it’s increasingly possible to make an argument that South Jersey Democrats are different. That argument, when it sticks, gets progressives out of the shouldn’t you be fighting Trump, not Democrats argument. But Cory Booker is too well known and too popular of a Democrat across New Jersey for that strategy to work. Attacking Booker makes progressives seem like fringe candidates. It’s a trap, even if Booker has some real weaknesses on education, big pharma and even Wall Street with progressives. 
  3. My Students on the Ballot. I won’t put the spotlight on anyone here, but I will say this: it’s gratifying to have been a part of this community long enough that I’m starting to see some of my students on the ballot. I’m incredibly proud of them. 

What are you watching for on primary day?