I have a confession to make. One of my guilty pleasures is the @PatcoWatchers twitter feed. Every morning and evening, when I do my daily walk back home (and past the Patco stop in Camden), I pull out my phone and check all the latest. 

Have a complaint? 

I get four e-mails (including the blank ones) for every train delay, but nothing announcing new schedules. Thanks @RidePATCO .

— Jim Jensen (@J_R_Jensen) July 29, 2014

Want to report maintenance? 

A funny person? 

Yes, @PatcoWatchers is becoming a bit of an obsession of mine. But it’s not just I enjoy walking the Ben Franklin and occasionally passing the Patco. It’s because I actually think this type of crowdsourcing is a perfect example of effective crowdsourcing: it’s powerful, yet messy. 

It takes a certain type of person to develop a social media voice and dedicate it to being a watchdog for public transportation. My favorite barroom debate with friends is quickly becoming, “does Patco love, or hate @PatcoWatchers?” Because it’s clear they are paying attention: 

In the short-term, it’s easy to imagine a Patco employee exasperated by the constant complaints, and the platform for them to be public. When Patco messes up, more people now know about it. 

But think about all the valuable information that is being shared. Think about all the creative ideas that are being made public.

Over the long-term, that’s going to make Patco a much better service. Watchdogs are doing the public a solid; they’re linking public transportation to its customers and creating an easy way to report problems. Plus, it provides a little entertainment for those of us who don’t have to commute: 

Yes I did, thank you.

Tags: ,