Philly News reporter Jason Nark passed along this article on Camden High hoops legend Dajuan Wagner. It’s from a few years ago, but I loved it and wanted to share it, in part because it’s rich in lore. That’s such a critical part of a community’s history: 

He had already been a local star for years by then. In Camden, people talked reverently about Dajuan Wagner when he was in middle school. In high school, he was one of the nation’s best players, scoring more points in New Jersey than anyone before or since. He averaged more than 42 points per game his senior year, and became a regular in the pages of newspapers and magazines all across the country. If anyone saw trouble for Wagner, or believed his destiny was to be anything but an NBA star, they were drowned out by those in Camden who believed he was, at least on the court, flawless.

By all mean, read the whole thing

In the meantime, I’m catching a case of Panther pride and am trying to get my hands on some of that purple Panthers gear (the sweater vest the Athletic Director was wearing is probably too much to ask, but I should be able to buy a tee-shirt somewhere, right?). 

I’m also hearing rumors that Camden High has a good chance to survive the new transition of several schools from public schools to charters, in no small part because of its rich history. I like to think that in some ways the value of its hoops, its legends, and yes, its lore, contributes to that. 

Tags: ,

Comments

• Hello my son Dajuan named after the great Dajuan Wagner.We live in Willingboro NJ would like to have Dajuan as a guest at his school my family loved him then and we love him now for not giving up. My son had medical problems (surgery’s) he tried out for middle school basketball team was cut very upset was honor roll student now not so good.I explain to him not to give up Dajuan Wagner is not giving up.Thank You from the Robinson Family Memorial 6th grade Academy Middle School