I often find myself warning of “good intentions” or other such aspects of civic engagement. But those critiques come from a place of respect for a university’s engagement, and a deep hope that it can be productive (along with an awareness that doing so is often fraught and challenging, as is most good work). 

But seeing engagement done well has some great benefits. That’s why I’m hopeful about tomorrow’s “Political Bloggers Panel” an event featuring not just state-wide political bloggers (Matt Rooney, who founded Save Jersey and Jay Lassiter who writes at politickernj.com, and a Philly.com columnist Kevin Riordan ) but also a local voice who’s really emerged on the Camden scene — Vida Neil. I’ve written a bit about Vida in the past. She’ll bring a fresh voice, new perspectives, and maybe equally as critically, a nature integration of local attendees.

This event has the potential to do show some of the down-to-earth benefits of civic engagement. Just by inviting a locally known social media star, the event has seen an uptick in registration. As a result, it’s almost entirely full (though, last I checked, there were a couple of slots remaining — you can check the registration here). 

How is a first-time event by a new campus organization (the Leadership Institute) full and drawing from local community? It turns out the answer isn’t very complicated — extend the goodwill of an invitation to our neighbors here in the city. 

I’m all kinds of curious how it goes, and hope you’ll join us (yes — I’m on the panel too!). 

Comments

• I’m looking forward to attending the Political Bloggers event tonight. The CCSD Camden Enrollment Plan just came out. Looking for feedback on that.

• Debra — I’m not sure what type of content we’re going to discuss tonight, the focus is primarily on the impact of blogging on policy but there seems to be a Camden-focus on the panelists. So we’ll see. As for the enrollment plan, still gathering information. As with most things, some good aspects and some bad aspects. I, sadly, have a huge backlog of stuff to write about, but that’s on the list!