Just wanted to share these thoughts from last week’s post. As always, I don’t have a way to confirm any identities, but I do know many of these commenters: 

Joseph: What’s amazing to me is the outright attitude of disrespect the school system (and “redevelopment” agencies, and even city government) has toward city residents. It’s almost at the point of being an absurd parody of itself. They’re clearly in the mindset of “this is what we’re going to do, and if you don’t like it, we’re going to either ignore you or berate you.”

Jose Delgado: Here is another incredibly perceptive article from Stephen Danley. He has a knack of hitting the right nail with the right hammer every time. What is happening in Camden would never, ever, happen in a non-minority community. The Mayor and Council member are complicit actors in the rape of the citizens they swore to serve and protect. I hope to be around when someone writes a history detailing how outside corporate and political entities invaded and occupied the City in order to steal their schools.

Tom Knoche: I agree with Jose. What Stephen describes happens so often and in so many different contexts. The powerful machine that controls Camden politics is threatened by open and unfiltered discussion. It has been that way a long time. Those in power are arrogant and paternalistic — only they know best. Even in the face of widespread protest and clear public opinion that opposes their position, or their pet project, they go ahead and do what they want. Cherokee Plan for Cramer Hill, State take-over of the City (they opposed it when the Republican Whitman administration proposed it, then supported it when they were back in control); failure to open Gateway Park, ignoring the community plan for Rev. Evers Park, takeover and subsequent dismantling of public schools, failure to include a River Line stop in the heart of Cramer Hill, construction of the St. Lawrence cement plant in Waterfront South — to name a few examples. In all of these cases, public officials systematically discouraged and ignored and “managed” some grassroots engagement, and embraced others. It’s not unlike how Gov. Christie bullies unwelcome voices in his town meetings. 

As always, we owe a special debt of gratitude to those such as Gary Frazier, Prof. Danley, Lula Williams, Mary Cortes, Mangaliso Davis, Martha Chavis, Kevin Barfield, Roy Jones, Sean Brown, Kelly Francis, and scores of others who stand up to power when it attempts to repress and ignore legitimate debate from authentic grassroots representatives.

I’m honored by the kind words directed to me, and saddened by the broader sentiments here. Hearing the voices of Camden advocates can be heart-breaking. That said, I also find it inspirational – Tom, Jose and others have been engaged in this work in so many ways for so long. I can’t help but admire their work.