One thing I often hear during my trips to neighborhood meetings is an adopted and adapted version of Broken Windows Theory. Most interpretations of James Q. Wilson and Kelling’s theory apply it to crime; they focus on eliminating small disorder. Neighborhoods often take it another direction. They focus on the physical; making Broken Windows Theory about the windows, not the person throwing the rock. 

The result is policy objectives that focus on improving the appearance of a neighborhood. For Cooper-Grant, that meant getting fire hydrants repainted (a rather odd green, if you ask me). For my former neighborhood, an Irish, blue-collar block off “two street,” it meant pitching it to get Christmas lights put up on the block. For Center City Philly, it’s meant businesses voluntarily taxing themselves to pay for street cleaning services. 

And in one particular corner of Camden, it means showing up with flashlights tonight to raise awareness that a local park doesn’t have functioning lights.

Pastor Jud Weiksnar of St. Anthony of Padua Church and School in Camden passed along this flier and invited me to attend tonight’s event. I’d like to invite others to spread the word and join. I’d also like to give a big shout-out to Miguel’s Pharmacy who is donating a hundred flashlights to this cause. 

Parks can, and should, be beautiful and communal spaces – sources of pride, not worry. Without lights, that isn’t possible. 

Details: 

Von Nieda Park
6:15-6:45pm
Bring a Flashlight!