Here we are. A new semester at Rutgers, new students and classes, and a host of Camden issues to talk about. Over the upcoming weeks, we’ll be talking about the school board elections, the impact of cars on Camden’s downtown, and I’ll be sharing some of what I’ve been reading (and some of where I’ve been traveling) over the summer. But we’re going to start with where every semester should start — with Rutgers’ incredible students. 

I’ll keep it simple. I love many aspects of my job: research, opportunities to write, the freedom (both in schedule and projects), but the thing that makes this job work for me is my students. They give me a tremendous amount of energy. They’re often on the cusp of the movements I’m studying. I admire them greatly and am honored to have the chance to interact with them day-to-day at my job. 

So this semester, I want to do a better job of shouting out some of the amazing and creative work they’re doing on campus and beyond. 

We’re going to start with the our own chapter of Define America. Currently Rutgers University-Camden students are fundraising to send their board to the Define American Summit

When this campaign first came across my twitter feed, I didn’t know a lot about it. But I was blown away by the work the organization is doing: 

I donated. But not just because I wanted to support my students, but because they’re leading the way on this work. Teaching me how to contribute to these movements. And that work deserves to be supported. 

Much more of this to come. As always, please consider contributing as a guest author, or sending along events, news articles, or other stories you’d like to see us cover. 

Tags: , ,