There are people I lean on when I want to be plugged into different scenes. Dr. Keith Benson and others for the latest education news. Darnell Hardwick and Kelly Francis at the NAACP if I want the latest on the police force. And Jordan Lee Mead for issues surrounding bikes, cars and transportation. 

In that spirit, I’m launching a series called “Camden is for Cars” in which I’ll be discussing the intersection of car culture with health, gentrification, politics and more. But I thought I’d kick it off by sharing this important post by Jordan. Note, Jordan is helping organize an event this Saturday (12-2) at the Kroc Center to tackle some of these critical community issues:

This is 6th street during Leap Academy's pick-up and drop off. And I know it wasn't perfect before, but this is largely…

Posted by Jordan Lee Mead on Saturday, March 23, 2019

Here’s the text for the Facebook agnostic amongst us: 

This is 6th street during Leap Academy’s pick-up and drop off. And I know it wasn’t perfect before, but this is largely due to the abrupt removal of parking from Cooper Street. It was said the parking was taken away, and that the barriers that will go up are for pedestrian safety.

I believe they want to essentially create a highway for new waterfront commuters to be able to get in and out of Camden as fast as possible without having anything or anyone in their way. In other words, they didn’t build it for Camden.

Street design matters, and can have great benefits for small businesses. Anytime I went to Peace of Cake Bakery, 6th Street Lounge, or La Unique Bookstore, I parked on Cooper. Ask those business owners if they felt like they were thought about when these changes were made to Cooper.

And we haven’t even mentioned safety yet. Cooper took a step backward on pedestrian safety. And how many residents from North Camden walking downtown have to cross it? When I lived in North Camden I crossed it almost everyday. This disregards them entirely.

Lastly, a 17 year-old girl was recently hit and killed by a police officer. I haven’t heard anything else about an investigation into it. I don’t believe that’s an accident. And I believe it was last year that two young girls were hit and killed by drivers on separate occasions. And another girl that was a victim of a hit and run that luckily survived.

I don’t have all the answers. I’m a volunteer and don’t do this professionally. But I believe the streets and public spaces of this city should be for the residents. 
The last two pics are the event I’m hosting at the Kroc Center next weekend. 
I’ll have a couple sign-up sheets for a few different things.
One is for people who are interested in organizing a group or committee of people who are concerned and want to find ways to take action on these issues.
Another will be for my own personal desire of creating a slow-roll type bike ride in Camden where we just get as many people on bicycles as possible to go on fun short rides that take over the streets. And maybe incorporate small businesses or parks that we stop at. These types of bike rides have been used as a good tool for growing awareness and symbolizing taking back the streets in other cities.

I also want listen. I moved to Camden in 2008, but have only been a bike and pedestrian advocate for a year and a half. I have a lot to learn and am interested in hearing your ideas about how we can do this type of work in Camden.
Thanks if you read all of this, and thanks if you come.

Hope to see you there! And more on bikes, cars and Camden next week. 

Tags: ,