Each semester, my students participate in part of the regional food plan produced by the DVRPC. That plan called for reviews of local restaurants to make sure existing, locally owned restaurants have online infrastructure sufficient to attract new costumers (particularly those new to our community coming here to work at the variety of new businesses in the city). Today we’re featuring one of those reviews: The Hot Spot Latin Grill on River Road. 

Now, I consider myself a bit of a #CamdenFoodie, so I normally recognize almost all the restaurants and businesses that my students select. But this year, they’ve gone above and beyond. Here’s class reviews of a place I can’t wait to try out!

Name of Restaurant: The Hot Spot Latin Grill 
Type of Restaurant: Latin Food 

Pros: Cheap prices with big portions, great hospitality, peaceful and friendly environment, decor was lively and simple, fresh food,

Cons: They ran out of their famous”chinola” juice 

Date: February 6th, 2018 at 12:30PM 

Specific Information: A Classmate and I decided to visit the Hot Spot, and we were not disappointed. The food had a mix of both Hispanic and American types, but centered mainly around the Hispanic aspect. The restaurant had lovely decor and a welcome atmosphere with staff that immediately greeted their guests. I made the decision to order the “Hot Spot Sandwich” which consisted of beef steak and cheese with all of the fixings along with fries. The sandwich was very flavorful and filling while the fries were cooked close to perfection. Each and everything I tried was very enjoyable. 
– Dani Mannino 

The hospitality of the Hot Spot makes me want to come back! The woman who served us was very helpful with informing us on the variety of food that was on the menu so I ended up ordering a plantain sandwich named the “Totonaso.”  Although the plantain was fried, it still tasted fresh and soft, not too crispy and not undercooked either. I appreciated the culture variety within the menu as well. The owners are Puerto Rican, but I love how they do not limit theirselves to solely food from Puerto Rico. They also have dessert. I had a tough time choosing what dessert to get because it all looked so good!  I tried the Limber de Leche, and it was delicious. 
– Stelimar Fortuna 

The Hot Spot was a very personable and delicious place to eat. It bases itself around Latin food and mainly Latin sandwiches. However, these are no ordinary sandwiches. The fresh, hot, and tasty sandwiches make your mouth water when you bite into them. The “Totonaso” is by far one of the best sandwiches. It has lettuce, tomatoes, mayo/ketchup, and cheese, and pork on two, long fried plantains. I was amazed at how fresh the sandwich was from the plantains down to the lettuce.The sandwich tasted moist, and it was filling to the point that I had to save the other half for a later time. The woman who served us was very nice and welcoming. I asked for suggestions on what to order, and she took her time describing every item to me. She even asked me what I generally liked to eat so that she can suggest items based off what I like to eat. I appreciated the calm environment the Hot Spot Latin Grill had. Though it was lunch time, there was no excessive rush or chaos. Rather, the server handled everyone calmly. 
– Ashly Estevez Perez 

Would you recommend this restaurant: We would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a quick sandwich to grab that will both be filling,cheap, and tasty. The customer service here is great, and the atmosphere is calm/peaceful. We believe this offers a good blend for anyone!

Overall Rating: 9.5 out of 10!

Tags: ,