I have been showing up to more establishment spaces lately — part of a wider effort not to cede these spaces to those using progressive energy as cover for compromise rather than impetus for change — and from those covering Camden, I’m getting this question more and more: when are you going to cover Frank Moran? 

My inner snark wants to respond when he has a campaign event. But that’s not quite right, and the question deserves a serious answer. City Council President Frank Moran — who is running for Mayor of Camden — does not need to show up at forums or debates, he does not need to roll out a platform, or to produce policy plans. That’s partially because he is working from a position of strength; New Jersey’s archaic ballot processes, powerful county party infrastructure, and powerful financial interests mean Frank Moran doesn’t need to win the primary, he just needs someone else not to win it. And if that someone gets too close, there is money in the bank for devastating negative campaigning in the last weeks of the campaign.

The combination of those infrastructure challenges with a lack of media pressure for democratic norms (which occurs at the intersection of a newspaper industry struggling to make ends meet, and the lack of readership in Camden of traditional media) means that there is little incentive for City Council President Frank Moran (or the rest of his City Council slate — Curtis Jenkings, Sheila Davis and Angel Fuentes) to run a traditional campaign. 

Instead Moran does events like this: 

Creamer Hill Little League Banquet at the Kroc Center

Posted by Frank Moran on Saturday, April 29, 2017

This is what a campaign looks like in Camden. Public officials are invited to speak at events in their official capacity. They call up their colleagues and slate of candidates onto the stage with them. They speak in broad terms about the success of wider initiatives — even those they had little to do with. And they give out resources during election season. They want you to know they are on the winning team, and that their team has the power to give out resources.

Those in power have been throwing circuses and carnivals to appease the people since the beginning of time, using free food and state resources in the place of democracy and accountability. That Camden politicians do it is nothing new. Just this past Easter, Frank Moran got press for giving out 400 Easter baskets to Camden families. 

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love both Easter baskets and carnivals. It is good to see public officials responding to community needs. But it is also deeply cynical to use state resources around election time as a replacement for a thriving civic discussion that is much needed in this city. 

And this is where I am on the Frank Moran ticket — I want to see them release a platform (as Ray Lamboy’s ticket did on Facebook — more on that soon). I want to see the slate engage the people, produce plans, and address policies — and I want to be a part of the civic infrastructure that tries to make that happen. That’s because I want to know more about Moran, his ticket, and his values. And, while I understand why Camden residents may want to vote for the individuals who use power to give resources while expecting loyalty in return, I expect more from my politicians and local campaigns.

Tags: ,