I’m happy to announce a new series at the Local Knowledge Blog, tentatively titled: An Apple for Our Teachers. Each Wednesday I’ll be publishing stories from Camden teachers about their lives and choice to teach here. It was local parent Carmen Crespo who came up with the idea, and first starting soliciting these stories. Here’s what she had to say about the importance of teachers telling their stories: 

Camden is NOT an easy city to teach in. The resources are low, the children face severe adversity, and the pay isn’t great. Yet, we have wonderful people who choose to get up every morning and come to Camden to make a difference in our children. Too often we hear and see the negative about Camden. So I’d like to open up the floor to our awesome teachers.

So powerful, and so important. Our first story is from Denise Newelle-Kafaerle: 

I began teaching in Camden almost 25 years ago as a substitute Instructional Asssistant while completing my degree at night. My principal, Dr. Suarez, offered me a teaching position as soon as I completed my degree requirements. It was an honor and a priviledge to accept this wonderful and powerful role. From the first day, almost a quarter of a century ago, I was hooked! The children are a challenge as well as a complete and total joy! The rewards of teaching cannot be measured. We are making a positive difference and creating connections that have no boundaries or limitations.

Hopefully you find these stories as inspirational as I do. If you are a teacher or know a teacher who would like to share their story in future weeks, please email me at Stephen.danley (at) Rutgers.edu. I’ll pull teacher stories up from the comments as well. The hope is to highlight a teacher story every Wednesday for as long as the stories keep coming! Thanks to Carmen and to Denise for making this happen, and even more, for caring about our city and being committed to it. 

Comments

• It’s so wonderful to hear about the good things happening in Camden City. There are so many amazing kids, families, and educators who are working hard to be successful. Keep up the good work!