We’ve had a lot of discussion here about education policy over the last few weeks, so I thought it was important to share this letter from a former teacher (who asked to remain anonymous) because it speaks of the day-to-day. Too often that gets lost in policy discussions. I found it both heartbreaking and inspiring:

I am a veteran Camden City School teacher. Retired this past May. 35 years but I started in 1968. I loved kids – I was the long haired semi- hippie who was going to change the world.

I was going to do it by teaching Art! And I did. My heart was given to every child I touched.  And that is what a real teacher does. It was never just a job. I certainly wasn’t in it for the money!

Anyway, I have watched the system change and be torn down by administrators who had no idea what was going on with our kids and now the state is ravaging the school district, too. I could tell stories of wonderful teachers and people who should never have had the privilege of being called teachers. I have seen black teachers slap black students! I have heard Hispanic teachers give students the absolute wrong information. I have heard white teachers screaming at kids. I have even seen administrators hide in my art closet when they weren’t prepared for the visit of top administrators. I wanted to tell someone about these injustices against our kids, but I merely complained to friends cause I was scared to lose my job and I was really there for my kids!

I am retired and not suppose to care anymore – but my heart is still there and I only wish that I could have made a difference to the system I saw crumbling to help save more kids – instead I know that I made a difference in the lives of many of my students and that gives me joy! I just wish the top brass would hear out some fine teachers and parents in the district. They even took basic skills remediation away from needy kids. I just don’t get it. It’s like someone wants our kids to fail.

Thanks for letting me rant. I left my heart in Camden!

Tags: ,