Over the past few weeks I’ve been traveling, teaching, and largely listening. With everything going on in Baltimore right now, I’ve been trying to listen first, and particularly to let the airwaves be filled with scholars who have a deep connection to the issue at hand. Foremost among them is Te-Nehisi Coates, whose words have been ringing in my ears for days now: 

When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time out, it exposes itself as a ruse. When nonviolence is preached by the representatives of the state, while the state doles out heaps of violence to its citizens, it reveals itself to be a con. And none of this can mean that rioting or violence is “correct” or “wise,” any more than a forest fire can be “correct” or “wise.” Wisdom isn’t the point tonight. Disrespect is. In this case, disrespect for the hollow law and failed order that so regularly disrespects the community.

I’ve watched as others, like Deray Mckesson have challenged national pundits and narratives by keeping the focus on the reasons for the protests in Baltimore (and now Philly, and other cities):

As I’ve stated on Twitter and in many conversations, I’ve been thankful for these voices, and the many educators (particularly those using hashtags #educolor and #SoJustEDU) who point me towards material and support. Because these aren’t easy conversations to have in a classroom or anywhere else. 

Jose Vilson, who I was fortunate enough to hear speak last week, highlighted the importance of these voices, and of elevating them at times like these, in his latest piece Raisins Exploding in the Sun

Even as I’ve been looking to these voices to understand Baltimore, I’ve been undergoing a similar process here in Camden. Fortunate enough to have some of my recent writings passed around through advocate circles, folks have been reaching out to me, sitting down with me, and inviting me to events more than ever. 

And these interactions are constantly reminding me of the power of these local, often minority, voices for explaining the challenges of the world around us. So while I dedicate myself to stopping and listening, to reconsidering and eventually rewriting things to reflect what I hear bubbling up from Camden, please consider writing yourself. I love it when this space becomes a place to help discuss and consider voices steeped in the city’s rich culture and history.